Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Taking the Long Road to Short Trips (Part I)

I don't want to waste my life.  I want to get things done.

I mean, who doesn't?  I want to be able to enjoy my down time.  Again, who doesn't?  But the fact is that I can't get things done (things being writing projects) and I can't enjoy my down time to its fullest with the random boxes of junk that I have lying around my apartment.  Well, to be clear it isn't like they are lining the halls and spilling out of the closets.  They are tucked away in my bedroom and in the bedroom closet.  Safely out of site, and out of mind.

But they aren't out of mind.  Not really.  For a while now I've had these things sitting in the bedroom, taking up space, and generally just sort of being there.  It probably wouldn't bother me nearly as much if I was still working my terrible retail job or working the theater job.  (That one was awesome, so I won't knock it.)   However, now that I am doing writing from home as my full time job, my home is my office.  The dirty corners and untidy areas are my work space and my job site.  Okay, true enough I don't stuff myself in the closet with my laptop in order to get my writing done, but the mental effect the untidiness has on me does effect how well I concentrate on my writing and how much output I can expect from myself on a daily basis.  So to that end I've been spending more time the past couple of weeks working on my "Junk Journals" book project and de-cluttering my home.  Good.  A bit of irony with this continued work on decluttering is that I haven't had a chance to really do any "for me" writing.  Oh sure, I've been working on my job related copy writing things, gotta keep limber.  But I just haven't put in the time lately that I want to on getting writing things done.

I want to say more about this, but the truth is it is kinda late and I am tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment